Thursday, July 24, 2008

2008-July 24-transplant pushed back 2nd time

I met with one of my doctors yesterday & got the results of my PET/CT scan. The cancer is responding to the chemo & has shrunk. It always has though. The problem is it comes back so fast. He thought we could go either way-do another 28 day chemo regimen or go ahead with the transplant next week. He needed to consult with some expert though & get back to me. My nurse called me this morning with some very disappointing news. The transplant is on hold again & pushed back another month. They want me to do another 28 day chemo regimen. I am very upset about this as I just want to get on with my life. I know they’re doing what is best for me, but it still doesn’t make it any easier. I was hoping to get off the insulin for the temporary diabetes within the next week. As prednisone is part of the chemo regimen & is what caused the diabetes I will have to deal with that for at least another couple months. I don’t think they can do a third 28 day chemo regimen as that would be too hard on my body, but I don’t know that for sure. I’m assuming we’re looking at the beginning of September to do the transplant, which means I wouldn’t be back home till the beginning of December. I find out more details tomorrow.

Tuesday after I did my PET/CT scan I had to have a platelet transfusion because my platelet count was so low. There are many possible side affects as the body recognizes something foreign in it & I got a rash covering my whole body.

They want to do a needle biopsy on the nodules around my thyroid. They did not shrink from the chemo, so I’m assuming it’s not cancer, but I don’t know that for sure. I don’t know when that biopsy will be yet.

My lymphedema (swelling of the lymph nodes) is not getting any better. My left hand is still very swollen. The soonest Seattle Cancer Care Alliance can get me in for physical therapy is July 30.

This is all very wearing on me. I’m crying as I write this. I start chemo again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Michelle, I can't even imagine how you must feel. Our prayers are with and for you during this time.