Monday, May 26, 2008

2008-May 25-problems flushing Picc & my donor

Tuesday I went in to have my blood drawn & checked & have the dressing changed on my central Picc line. My platelets are still low, but my doctor thinks they should be back up by this Tuesday. I’m scheduled for chemo at 8:40 am. Tuesday night I started having problems cleaning & flushing my Picc line. I couldn’t get the heparin to go into either line. I had to use both hands to push the syringe as hard as I could. I was afraid I was going to blow it apart. Wednesday morning I went into oncology & they gave me some medicine that breaks up blood clots. I had this stuff injected into me 3 times over the next three days, but was still having a lot of resistance. They were talking about running this medicine through a 2 hour IV or having dye injected into my veins to see where the clot was. Finally on Friday after taking a closer look at everything they found a kink in the tubing that was causing the problem- no clot. When my dressing was changed the tubing was laid funny & ended up kinking. What a fiasco. Everything’s back to normal now. =)

Friday afternoon I called the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) & they are finished with their more extensive testing of Tricia’s blood. She is a 100 % match & will be my donor. Apparently they finished up their testing on Monday. I wish someone would have contacted me, so I could have gotten things lined up already for the next step. I’ll find out all the details & results of SCCA’s testing & what the next step is on Tuesday when I meet with Dr. Raish.

No comments: