Monday, June 23, 2008

2008-June 22-blood clot again

Last week was another busy week of testing & appointments. Monday I had a dental exam, met with a nutritionist, had an orientation with a nurse, met with a social worker & filled out self assessment information on how I’m feeling. Tuesday I met with a pharmacist, met with my team of doctors, went to a food safety class & a class on managing care at home, had my blood drawn & had my central Picc line dressing changed. Wednesday I had a gynecology appointment, a muga test done on my heart & met with someone from the infectious disease department. Friday I had a PET/CAT scan done & my blood drawn. They are definitely checking me out from head to toe.

Mom & I came home Wednesday night & dad went back down to Seattle with me Friday for part of the day. I received a phone call from the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) about 5:00 pm Friday evening, after we were already home, with some bad news. They had part of my results back from the PET/CAT scan & I have a blood clot again. It’s in my superior vena cava again-the main vain. They started me on Lovenox blood thinner shots again. I have to do two shots in my stomach every 12 hours just like last year. I hate doing those shots. It makes a mess of your stomach with bruises, itching & dry skin.

Thursday the cancer lumps starting hurting pretty bad. When I went in Friday I talked to my nurse & one my doctors about it. They had just gotten me off the prednisone (steroid that is an anti inflammatory) a few days before, but put me back on it-60 mg per day. I had been down to 5mg every other day. I meet with my team of doctors & nurses tomorrow to get the rest of the results of the PET/CAT scan.

No comments: