Sunday, June 29, 2008

2008-June 29-first chemo treatment in Seattle

I had my first dose of chemo down in Seattle Friday. I felt completely fine afterwards-no nausea, just very tired these past couple days. It was pushed in with two syringes that only took about 10 minutes. One is called Mechlorethamine/Nitrogen Mustard & the other one is Vincristine. I ended up being there about 4 hours because I have to be hooked up to IV fluids before, during & after this type of chemo. I found out that day I’m also taking a pill form of chemo everyday for 2 weeks. And I’m also taking a higher dose of prednisone as part of this regimen. I’ve always taken the prednisone as a steroid for the pain, but from what I understand it can be used for this type of chemo treatment too. And now I have prednisone induced diabetes & have to take insulin shots daily. I also have high blood pressure & am taking medication for that. I can’t remember what medication caused that. I guess one medication will take care of one problem, but then there are side affects to that, so then I have to take another medication to counter that & so on & so forth. I counted up how many pills I’m taking a day right now. 22! Drugs. Drugs. Drugs. They prevent anything from pneumonia, shingles, liver toxicity, fungal infections, etc. etc.

The rash, dry skin, blisters & itching on my stomach is waaay better. The blisters have popped & stopped weeping, so it’s not such a mess to deal with anymore. It doesn’t look very pretty, but it’s finally healing.

As of right now tomorrow I have a blood draw, meet with my nurse, pharmacist & doctors. I think I’ll be getting the results from an ultrasound I had Friday after chemo. Something showed up on the PET/CAT scan next to my thyroid they wanted to check out. Wednesday I have a blood draw & Friday blood draw & chemo. Maybe if we stay late enough on the 4th we can watch the fireworks over Lake Union from the 6th floor of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. =)

No comments: