Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Update - Michelle

I have been absolutely miserable this past week. A couple of weeks ago I started a cold that has just gotten worse. At least I think it’s the cold that has given me a massive headache. I can’t even function. I just move slow for everything because I don’t feel very steady on my feet. And I lose my breath easily. The tightness in my chest & pressure in my face & head was way more tolerable than what I’m going through now.

Tomorrow will be a week of taking the Lovenox (blood thinner) & I can’t tell that anything is any better. I did use some Afrin nasal spray & took DayQuil before the spaghetti dinner fundraiser & it seemed to take the edge off for the first couple hours I was there. By the end of the evening my headache was back with full force & I ended up throwing up about 10:30 pm that night. We think it was from the constant pain from the headache & nothing to do with the chemo.

I met with my oncologist yesterday & he told me to try taking Vicodin. I took it right after dinner when I had a full stomach. I’m always scared to take it cuz it’s made me dizzy before. It seemed to take the edge off a little bit. I just took it this morning after I ate breakfast & it seems to have done the same thing. I don’t want to be taking that all the time though cuz I can’t drive then. So we’ll see if it works throughout the day.

Dr. Raish also mentioned taking the catheter out if this discomfort is unbearable. I’d have to have it put back in in about 2 weeks for the harvesting though, so I don’t want to do that. I don’t think we’re going to use that option. Monday I was told I could stop giving myself the neupogen shot (to produce white blood cells) until after my next session of chemo. Then it will be 2 shots a day. The shot giving has gotten much more bearable for me. I think I’m used to it now.

Yesterday I noticed my hair is starting to fall out-now that I’ve just gotten used to not covering it with the bandana. =( Oh well.

No comments: